(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Our one winged warrior

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Our one winged warrior


Is mostly back to work now. His shoulder will probably never be the same as there are muscles detatched from the bone that are not going to grow back. However, he is a typical tough farmer and just keeps going and going. He managed to get all the corn chopped and finished up Thursday. You can see in this picture from last week that his right arm doesn't work too well, but he gets things done some how...(he is bringing me firewood in this picture, bless his heart.)

Farming is different from most jobs in that respect. There are a finite number of people to do work that is absolutely unforgiving. Cows must eat, drink and be milked. The stove must have wood. Things have been kind of ugly....cows don't get bedded or stables cleaned until late afternoon and I do most of the former. Not so neat and tidy as it might be, but they have something to lie on at night anyhow. One side of the stable manure has been piled outside under the chute for weeks....that will get cleaned up pretty quick now that he doesn't have to try to chop acres and acres of corn with one arm and worn out equipment. Just yesterday, Liz and I helped him get all the fans out of the barn, move calves, change calf collars, build stalls, clean mangers and a half dozen other jobs that have gone begging until we had enough help and time to do them.

Now we have to rebuild the sawdust shed for yearling calf housing, tear out half of the old calf tie up and put in the new headlocks so we can catch the yearling heifers to breed them...oh, and get some Amish in to patch the roof if we can... rebuild the pig housing....get the five bred heifers and two dry cows down off the hill ....and on, and on, and on..etc.....

I am awful glad to have him done with corn and able to help in the barn all day....you just can't imagine how glad.

On another note, today is opening day South, deer season. Cows are all staying in the barn except the seven out on the heifer pasture hill and they have a lot of feed down here to keep them busy and close to the barn. Show heifers are locked in the barn yard. Horses are in the barn.....and my son is somewhere out on Seven County Hill with a twenty gauge and a dream.
I forgot to have him borrow a cell phone from one of his sisters, so I will worry and worry.
I trust him.
It is the poachers who will have by passed our no trespassing signs I worry about. The ones who hunt in full cammo and take sound shots and can't tell a deer from a billy goat or a Jersey cow. It is an insult to call them hunters. They are just idiots. I hope he doesn't meet any.

9 comments:

Linda said...

I hear you on having a wounded man that's not able to quite do what they need to. Especially when there are so many things that need to be done that take "the man" to do them. I sure hope mine stays sound and yours gets better.

Jeffro said...

It sure seems like a lot of people feel that a hunting license give them the right to go wherever they wish.

Every year I've got tracks through the fields. It's not so bad when the ground is in summer fallow, but when it's planted, well, they'd better hope I don't catch them out there.

threecollie said...

Loubob, Me too.... it has been a long time since Sept. 25th when he got hurt..things have really fallen behind, but we are catching up now. Today was nice because our son was home to help him. The girls and I got a nice break

Jeffro, you got that right. We are surrounded by housing developments. Seems like everybody in them thinks moving out of town gives them the right to do whatever they want to.

Windyridge said...

Amen to that. I was in my stand this Am and heard 5 shots, pow pow pow pow pow in a row on state land. If it took that many shots I am glad I am hunting on my friend's 130 acres!

Hunters indeed.

Cathy said...

Bless you and bless your dear hubby. I'm exhausted just reading about your schedule. I'll bet you can eat anything you want and not gain an ounce.

Stacy said...

I guess you could borrow the Army's(?) old slogan, it applies to farming, too, I'd say....."The toughtest job you'll ever love."

threecollie said...

WR, we figure when we hear the boom, boom, boom, that another deer has walked away Scot free and the air behind it is taking a beating.Goo luck on your hunt!

CAthy, thanks, he and the boy can...no such luck for me and the girls. lol

Stacy, good point. We ended up with a much greater appreciation of each other I think.

R.Powers said...

Good to hear he's mending. The hardest thing about men mending is mostly we don't listen to the "you need to not use it" advice from doctors on this kind of injury. As soon as it's not hurting as bad as it was, we think it's okay to use it and then the healing process stops or slows.
I've relearned this lesson several times.

As for deer, I just looked out the window behind me to see a buck going crazy in front of two does.
It would have been an amazing video clip.
No camera of course.

threecollie said...

Thanks FC, I have to say I have really been grateful this time that he has gone ahead and done all he could. With all three kids in school there isn't anybody but him or me. lol
The one outside the living room window is pretty funny too...I was glad Liz had her camera when he showed up.