(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Something's brewing

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Something's brewing


We crawled out of bed a little early this morning because Liz is going to help out on a Farm Bureau membership drive a little later in the day. We were nearly done milking when the sun came up. Its rising was at once ominous and glorious. At first there were bands of purple and sandy tan. Pretty enough, but in a Martian sort of way...the colors were simply not of this earth. Then the strange dullness slowly dissolved into a sea of red so bright that it shone right through the house from the living room to the rippled old glass in the dining room windows. There the red was exuberantly bubbled and wrinkled by the ancient panes until it looked like lava flowing down between the curtains.

The milkhouse wall was stained bright pink for a few seconds too, like a sunlit villa tucked against a hillside somewhere on the Mediterranean. I hurried back into the barn to call everybody out to see, but by the time I turned again the color was gone and the sky had faded all to grey. Because Liz was in a hurry to get Becky over to school (the latter is paying the former for chauffeur duties) the breakfast above is not what we are having today. However, a week ago Sunday was another story altogether. Anyhow, between the red sky at morning and the weather forecasts I guess we have a storm brewing. Sleet. Freezing rain. High wind watch. Bah humbug!

*****Visit Pure Florida today to see the kind of photos of Herkimer Diamonds that someone who knows what they are doing can produce. Mine are feeble by comparison.... even though the stones are just as bright and even somewhat larger.
It is kind of neat to walk outside
with a flashlight here at night, as all the Herkimers and slabs of mica from Richter's Mountain sparkle like, well, like diamonds in the night....maybe someday I will get the knack of photographing them.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh, you are evil! Here I am trying to be a good little Weight Watcher and now all I can think about is waffles. Soft, warm waffles dripping with butter and syrup....

Linda said...

I hope it doesn't freeze you out down there but if it does get real cold those waffles will help keep you functioning, believe me!

Jan said...

You use words to describe scenes so well, you really don't need to capture it on film. I love your word pictures. Of course I do ignore the being cold part.

threecollie said...

Stacy, I am so sorry....he, he, he...the syrup comes from our woods too. lol

Linda, the best part is that I don't have to make them. No waffle iron growing up so I feign ignorance. My late m-i-l taught the girls so Liz usually makes them.

Jan, thank you so much. It was such a gorgeous morning and I was in such a hurry...the photos I took came out awful, so I did the next best thing.