(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Lobby days

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Lobby days

Liz is off to the capital today to participate in PX Days, wherein farm folks become lobbyists and talk to legislators about our issues. It is a lot of fun and very interesting. Eye opening too sometimes when you get to speak to downstate legislators (for downstate, fill in New York City). They tend not to think quite like we do...to put it mildly. I would love to go myself, but I don't walk fast enough to keep up with all those long striding farmers...plus someone has to milk the cows and get Becky over to school.

Here is the agenda (pdf) If Senator Cathy Young and Assemblyman Bill Magee speak, it will be very interesting for her. They are very knowledgeable about farm topics and are the leaders of the ag committees in the legislature.

We got up (at four thirty) to barking dogs, rumbling thunder (the reason for the dogs alarm), and pouring, torrential, tumultuous, buckets of rain. I wonder if this bizarre and miserable weather is an omen for Super Tuesday. Hope I can get down the driveway to vote anyhow. We saw a caravan of cars with big signs advertising Ron Paul parked in Johnstown yesterday. I wanted to get a picture on the way home, but they were gone when we came back by. Too much traffic on the upside of the trip. Not many folks were paying much attention.....I won't say who I am voting for...so far only one candidate even has a policy on agriculture. That is McCain and he is agin it.


Milking Bayberry, his favorite cow

8 comments:

Stacy said...

We had that same weather here this morning. I can't blame it on a Super Tuesday omen, though, since we don't get the chance to vote for a couple of months yet. Talk about feeling like your vote doesn't count....the candidates should be pretty much picked by then.

OneCowgirl said...

I am asking folks to make a bucket list. See my blog - THANKS

Rising Rainbow said...

Lobbying directly instead of paying a lobbyist sounds like a good plan, probably a lot more effective.

threecollie said...

Stacy, horrible here today. I am so sick of winter. We seem to be having storm after storm, with the driving being just awful. And I couldn't agree with you more on the votes not counting. They guy I wanted to vote for withdrew before our primary.

OneCowGirl, I have been working on it...

Rising Rainbow, it is quite a thing to go meet with the legislators one on one. It gives them a face for agriculture and really does a lot of good I think

Rebecca Mecomber said...

We got the bucketfuls of rain this morning. Heaven musta been crying, I know I was, to see Hillary and McCain win NY. Stupid downstate (insert New York City for downstate).

Hope Liz had success in Albany. Maybe if the farmers get more of the pretty girls to lobby for them, the legislators will finally start paying attention.

threecollie said...

Mrs. M, it pained me too. I dislike McCain quite strongly and am not too awful fond of our Senator either...and the weather is just plain nasty!

Paintsmh said...

So much fun...but so very very tired!!

threecollie said...

Paints, this weather doesn't help!