(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Guest post: My First Deer

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Guest post: My First Deer


If I were to describe the best day of my life I would have to pick the day that I harvested my first deer.The whole month before opening day I had been biting my nails waiting for season to start. Two weeks before season started I had posted our whole farm in hopes of keeping poachers off our land.

After slogging through the mud for three days posting the land, I started to get a little cough. I have asthma so I figured that it was just overexertion. However, my symptoms only seemed to get worse. Soon I realized that it was not asthma and that I had the flu. As deer season neared I realized that I was going to miss my first chance at a deer.

Opening morning came and went; I was bedridden after the doctor said that under no circumstances was I allowed to hunt, at least for the first week. The whole week I was tormented by the accounts of my father's expeditions. I had to wait it out. Thanksgiving came and I felt good enough to gorge myself on turkey and all the fixings.

I started working on the farm again doing light work when my father fell ill. He had the same ailment I had. So I was left with all his work to finish on top of my own. After cleaning the barn of animal wastes and feed refusals, I was setting off to spread the noxious matter, when Doctor Mom gave me the okay to hunt for a few minutes.

Dad had told me about a little spot in one of our fields called the old pasture lot. We had used the field as a pasture in the past when the grass was insufficient in the other two pastures. The grass is tall most years, providing an excellent food source. A creek that runs on the westerly end of the field has cut a deep bank into the grassy sides of the pasture, providing great protection from the cold winds of November, as well as a constant water source. Encroachment from hunters is also hindered by the natural structure. Tucked up against the bank is a small wooded area. Stuck among the tangled masses of grape vines and box elder trees there is a little apple tree where the deer and other game animals love to go when season opens. There is a little gap between the trees where a watchful person can peer past all the thickets and see the contents of the little hollow.

It was there that I harvested my first deer. After following my dad's advice I walked around the far side of the field in hopes of advancing on the little grove. I have seen large deer go there before in hopes of eluding the constant hunting pressures. After thinking that I had not been quiet enough I took the shell out of my gun. As I walked to the hole in the trees I noticed some brown where there shouldn't be any. I quickly reloaded my gun as the magnificent creature raised its head. I felt the report of the gun against my shoulder and my ears ached from the load noise.

I slammed another round into my gun as I walked quickly through the entangled trees and shrubs to get to my quarry. At the end of my short trek laid the most beautiful animal I had ever seen. I did not need to use the second round because I shot it cleanly through the head. I then puzzled how to get this new found source of meat and nourishment home. I tried and failed numerous times to strap it to the hood of the tractor.

I had a huge dilemma on my hands. Should I leave the deer to go get help or should I keep trying to get it on the hood of the tractor? After a few agonizing moments and a few more attempts I decided to leave my deer and go get the loader tractor to get it home

When I finally got it to my house, I went inside and told my mom that I had shot a spike buck. She came out with her camera and saw the beast, There, before her, was the 140 class eight point buck with brow tines that were almost eight inches long. It weighed at least two hundred pounds. It was so large that when we hung it from half-inch rope the sheer mass of the animal snapped the line that was holding it up.

Since that day I have taken many deer. However, the day that I harvested my first deer will always be the most remembered in my mind. My father has taught me the importance of land management and self control. I never harvest more wild game than we need. And after I take any animal I think it for what it gives my family. Each animal that I take makes the ultimate sacrifice for my family's well-being.

This is a paper that Alan wrote recently for his college English class. He received an A+ on it and I liked it so much I though I would share it with you, with his permission. He is such an outdoorsman that it never fails to amaze me that he also writes very well. However, he does and I hope you enjoy this essay. Here is a photo of that deer and the happy hunter.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

There's nothing better in life than a good memory. It's funny how and what we remember. It says as much about who we are as anything else.

Jan said...

He has definitely inherited the superior writing skills of his mother.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I had a feeling you were "warping" your children ;)

Excellent story Alan and good job TC, he's a keeper!

Thanks for sharing.

R.Powers said...

What Jan said!
Way to go Alan!

DayPhoto said...

What a great read! I THANK YOU both for sharing. The writing is very good, the discriptions bring everything to life!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Rebz said...

Holy komoly! I hope to take my first deer this year, and man!- I hope it is such a great story as that. Telling a good hunting story is definitely an art, and that was a great example! I like the way he expresses the thrill of the hunt and tempers it with his respect for the animal. That is great. Anyway, let's see the pic of the deer. XOXO
Joce

Anonymous said...

Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaww! That buck's a real whooper. Nothin' like a good hunting to make one recover from the flu real quick-like. I congratulate you for your success. Story's told about as good as one from Jim Bridger.

Freste said...

Oh yeah, I can see how he got that A+ now. Excellent writing style. Makes you feel like you're out there in the cold trying to figure out how to rig that critter up there.

threecollie said...

Robert, that is one positive about life on a farm. Sometimes it seems as if there is nothing but work, but you get those special moments that memories are made of...

Jan, that is a very kind thought. Thanks

Nita, you betcha, on the warping that is. We do our best. lol Thanks for the kind words!

FC, thanks from both of us

Linda, thanks so much. I enjoyed the paper and wanted to share.

Joce, thanks on his behalf. It tickles me pink that he writes with so much feeling

injane, better than a flu shot! lol Thanks for the kind words!

steve, thanks, he is such a character. I had succumbed to the flu by the time he got it...missed Thanksgiving altogether...and I so did not want to go out in the yard to see the "spike buck". It was worth it when I did though.

Anonymous said...

Frerd Alan wonderfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love ya both!!!!
Matt

threecollie said...

Thanks Matt!! Love you too

Anonymous said...

Loved this! I'm going to have to let my husband read it-it so reminds me of him telling of his first deer kill all those years ago.

threecollie said...

Thanks, Tipper, I am glad you enjoyed it.

Amber Friers said...

Wow I totally forgot I wrote this... it's really good!!

threecollie said...

I'll share it today so people who missed it can read it.