(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: No Joy in Mudville

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

No Joy in Mudville

It's been like Casey at the bat here the past few days. Liz and I had a great Friday, managed to get some more grapes and make more jelly, got a lot cleaned up and caught up. We were having a cup of coffee and feeling pretty good about ourselves. Then the boss came in looking grim. He had good reason. The big tractor, the 4490, blew some portion of its anatomy out through the engine block. Parts flew 70 feet. It will not be running again without a whole new motor. It is sitting in the farthest back field too. I don't have any idea how they are even going to get it down here.

Some friends loaned/rented him a tractor so he can keep grinding away at the corn. (Thank God for people like them.) Then we got three inches of rain. He had to give up on the field he was in and move to another on higher ground. Then a sweet cow (well Liz doesn't think she is so sweet because she banged her up pretty bad when she was a show cow) aborted her calf last night. She isn't an easy one to get bred in the first place so this could be it for her. We will have to see.

Now this:

HERKIMER
WINTER STORM WARNING
MONTGOMERY
FLOOD WATCH
WINTER STORM WARNING
OTSEGO
WINTER STORM WARNING

Something is wrong with this picture. Whoever heard of dreaming of a white Halloween? I think I'll hibernate!

***And I want to know where my share of global warming went!



Found this on World Dairy Diary...Saratoga Cheese Company to open new plant in NY. The region has lost a lot of dairy processing facilities in the past few years. Good to hear of a new one coming in.


12 comments:

Deb said...

:( I swear if it's not one thing it's 10. Tractors are the greatest invention when they run! I'm sorry for your misery this week - poor Bossman....I can only imagine his frustration and on top of that losing a calf.

Your weather is heading our way for wednesday. No accumulating amounts for us thankfully. Just too early!

That is great new about Saratoga Cheese Co.

Take good care - sending you good thoughts. Wish I could do more.

Anonymous said...

Fred, Staying home today to try to get ready for the snow!YUCK!!!!!!
Just to early!!
If there is any thing I can do to help let me know!!!!!!
When it rains it pours, it's pouring now!!!!
Love ya,
Matt

Anonymous said...

Oh no - nothing is worse than an unrunning Deere -especially during harvest. Glad that the flying parts didn't injure anyone (other than the 4490).

Sorry about the cow/calf. That always upsets me more than anything.

I didn't send the snow your way on purpose! Our weather is beautiful - for now.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your bad luck. A white Halloween-thats something.

Anonymous said...

Fred closed the back of the garage up in the rain and snow this AM. Mostly snow here now.
Man what happened to globle warming??
Love ya
Matt

Anonymous said...

yeah there was 2 1/2 inches of snow on the roads on the way in. glad to have the car today. thank

Linda said...

Hope the weather report was a mistake! It's always great to have good neighbors and friends isn't it.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear about the new plant, ours(semiconductors) is closing in 2009, so maybe I should head for Cayuga county for another job? I like cheese..! You are really getting hit with Murphy's law, just when you need the tractor the most...

Anonymous said...

We are getting snow too! It has been snowing here since the wee hours in the morning. Brrr.

Anonymous said...

I had that kind of day, too ... and the topper was the forecast alert. Ran around like the proverbial chicken yesterday getting the yard stuff put away and the bird feeders out. I'm not ready for this!

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the Deere and calf. When it rains it pours or should I say snows. What a day.

threecollie said...

EVeryone, sorry it took me so long to answer your comments. Crazy kind of day....

Deb, thanks, he is having a tough time....he does get real frustrated. Hope you don't get slammed too bad by this storm. It really nailed some areas near here

Matt, glad you could get some time to button things up. Wish I got to talk to you...just too nuts here...love you too

Karen, thanks so much. Hope your beautiful weather shows up here too. Lol, I hate snow and it seems wrong for it to show up so early...although I know it wouldn't be early for you folks.

Tipper, thanks, it is plumb unnatural

Matt, I am wondering the same thing!

Alan, and I am glad you guys got home all right. Both days!

Linda, thanks! I am so grateful to them...they are always good folks and we think very highly of them

marianne, sorry to hear about the job front. I was pleased to see a cheese plant coming in. So many are closing these days

mml, I saw your pics of your place. You got hit a lot worse than we did

akagaga, it is way too early for this. I barely have the garden half cleaned up and no garlic planted yet. Hope it stops.

NYV, thanks, it gets pretty discouraging sometimes, but I guess all we can do is hang in there.