(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Knot Knotty Pine

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Knot Knotty Pine

But rather knotted honey locust.



Last year when I was weeding the asparagus that grows right next to the house (a volunteer) I discovered yet another of what seems like millions of honey locust seedlings. The other end of the tap root on every single one of them has a Hong Kong address. When I couldn't pull it out I tied a knot in it in frustration.

And forgot about it. The big asparagus plant doesn't get weeded all that often, but I finally got at it again the other day. Rather than the little baling wire sized stem of honey locust there was a big robust yearling as thick as my thumb and as tall as my head growing out of it. As I chopped it down with my loppers I found a surprise...the knot I tied and forgot last year. Who would expect that a tree would grow with a knot in the trunk?

So of course when I found another little seedling in the other flower bed, I chopped off its head and tied a knot in the stem.


8 comments:

Jessika said...

That knot is something else. Who'd guessed?

Jeannelle said...

Yeah, I agree....that is really something to see. What a determined plant!

lisa said...

Persistant little buggers!!

Anonymous said...

yes..they sure are determined!..glad you found it!

i hate weeds...cuz i'm afraid i might find a SNAKE...they petrify me!..uhhhh!..makes my skin crawl thinking about them!

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Now that's hilarious!!!

Lee said...

I think these may become your next cash crop. Unique, one of a kind, Northview walking sticks. Remember, any plant could be a weed in an inappropriate location. Make a crop out of them.
Lee

Islagringo said...

Clever girl! Reminds me of when trees grow around barb wire.

threecollie said...

Jessika, it sure was a surprise to me when I was whacking down brush by the back door.

Jeanelle, I was astonished.

LIsa, I have been thinking about planting some in buckets and selling them. Ours is a nice tree, if a trifle brittle.

Anon, I don't really mind snakes, but it sure does make me jump when I see one.

Mrs. M, it was a shocker to me, I'll tell you

Lee, I really like that idea. I used to be irritated when I found them in the garden. They are so hard to pull up once they get a foothold. Now I see them differently. Would you like one?

IslaG Exactly right!