(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Facebook Changes

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Facebook Changes

Close up of FB Dev at work

(If you are a normal person, who has an actual life, and who doesn't like rants and tirades from folks who don't, please don't read any further....please...you will just think ill of me, and I value your good opinion. However, I have no life and get my personal interactions here on the interwebs.)

Yep, Facebook devoured itself yet again, just turned around, grabbed its tail in its sticky, black beak and sucked itself right inside. Slurp! Just like a cocktail olive. It's done it before and eventually everyone got used to the pointless, intrusive, and annoying changes that it made to itself when it emerged from its own ugly, and now inside out, butt. This seems like the worst update yet.

I read my morning news on FB, keep up with friends and family, play pointless, but addictive games and generally waste quite a lot of time. I also used to get the news feeds of a large number of farms and farm organizations, which I used to glean tips for future Farm Side stories or to kick off posts here on Northview. A whole new ball game now.

Only Facebook, with its insane level of popularity, could c**p in the hats of millions upon millions of loyal, all day every day, customers and get away with it.

But they will. We will all whine and bitch and carry on and send them nasty notices. Then we will all figure out how to find the news and updates we used to use and twist ourselves inside out to do so. I truly don't think that FB devs have any interest at all in serving their customers. I think they sit around in little padded rooms thinking up ways to tick off their millions and millions and millions of users and then gloat when they get all those millions of angry letters.

Meanwhile, maybe they bought shares in Google+ (which is also hard to use and confusing) and want to send a little business their way.

Okay, enough of that. Now I will go see how much time I can waste figuring out how to find Farm and Dairy, and Dairy Herd Management and all those other folks....and you...if you are my FB friend. Rant over.

***and yes, I do know that there are many more important issues to worry about, flooding, famine, etc., but today is my day to whine.

***Update #2 Becky pointed out that all we really wanted was a "dislike" button

13 comments:

Jeffro said...

I'm for thinking all of it - especially the games and the endless changing of the formats - are designed to see what keeps us jumping through the hoops as further data to be mined for marketers. That's where they're making their money, so it follows that we're all rats in a maze to them.

dickiebo said...

You whine away if you want to! We'll always listen. (Not on Facebook though. Got fed-up with it!)

Dani said...

Really how hard is it to give us a dislike button?!??! StOOpid Facebook.

Jinglebob said...

As I said over on FB, lets just all quit. then they would figure it out. Bet no one does tho'. Maybe they keep changing it so people will keep using it. I am on a ranching/cowboy talk site that several of us made over the years and people come and have a great time, then drift off. Maybe because it never changes and after a bit they seem to think they have read it all. Danged if I know. I would miss FB, but I could sure leave it also.
And as to your internet friends, I too have my daily dose of human interaction on it. Like a cyber coffee shop I can pop in to and leave as the day goes on. Many do it mobily (is that a word) by using their phones that have internet capabilities. Hang in there buddy, we got your back! ;-)

Earl said...

Rats in a maze. This is what happens when one allows aliens to grab the the internet and establish mind control.

Unknown said...

Ohhhh, Girlie! I gave those peckers a handful of me, this morning, before I shut down my account!

They won't find my voice down there, but they can come kiss my arse! They can take their " Dictatorship " and go play elsewhere with it! I never signed up for that crap!

Twitter's lookin' even better, lately!

Susan Rose said...

You have my heartfelt sympathy. We got new work computers last week. They're set up with Windows 7, the upgrade from Windows Vista (I think). If I were to rant, it would sound similar to yours. I think the designers/idiots sit around and think up ways to change things and market this as "improvement." Much of the change is a step backwards. Arrrrghhh!!!

Flo said...

I went on the exact same rant rampage last night when I discovered the changes. However, I also found a temporary fix. If you go into your account settings and change the language to English(UK) it goes back to the old way. Don't know how long that will last but it should be long enough to get up to speed on Google+ :O

Jan said...

Being a person who has no life, I enjoyed your rant. But I keep forgetting to go to FB so must see what your rant is about.

Cathy said...

Jan and I are in the same boat.

And I just don't get over to FB unless somebody (what's it called?) nudges me - pokes me?

And trust me. It's not because I have a so-called life :)

However! Their maneuvers sound sadistic.

R.Powers said...

Not on Facebook, but was thinking about Google + if it ever opens up to join.

threecollie said...

Jeffro, from what I am reading you are exactly right. Guess I'll go hop on my wheel now. lol

dickie, thanks and I don't blame you

Dani, stoopid is exactly right!

JB, wish I could quite. FB is worse than coffee. Can't seem to start my day without it. lol

Earl, I am feeling especially ratty today. lol

WRB, I think there will be a lot of that. At least there have been a lot of good jokes about it.

Susan, oh, boy, do you ever have my sympathy! I am hanging on to this XP computer as long as I can keep it creaking along. Buying DVDs today to take some of my photos off and try to free up some space. Poor old thing

Flo, it sure is irritating, but I guess we will have to get used to it. I tried the UK English fix, but I guess it is only temporary and won't work here any more.

Jan, I love the games...can't get away from them.

Cathy, I can't seem to get away from it. lol I don't see many actual live people in a day's work except for family and it provides me with a little interaction...and those games.

FC, well, if you do get on G+ give me a shout. I am on, but nothing seems to happen there. Which may well change as it becomes more popular.

Linda said...

LOL I have to agree the old FB morning coffee shop was like going from rural to urban.