(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Not Helpful

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Not Helpful

As you can see the Sudex got away from us.
Supposed to cut it when it is as high as your wallet.
It would take a pretty tall guy for that to be the case
here, even if he carried his wallet in his hat. However, the weather is what it is and volume is good too. We will take all the feed of any description that we can get.


These pics belong to Alan, who took them with his cell phone and posted them on
Facebook where his low down,
thieving , conniving
mother could easily steal and repost them.

Thanks guy, for this pretty darned cool taste
of autumn field work on a hill farm in upstate NY

The Rubber band girls of summer seem to have left for warmer places already. I am keeping their feeder full, but there is no sign of their humming and buzzing around my head when I go out on the sitting porch. Not much reason to go out there now anyhow. All the house plants are inside; nothing left but the hummer feeder and the parsley and basil. I will let the basil freeze, as it is always full of bugs if I bring it in...and the parsley doesn't care about the weather....although it does seem perkier if I water it occasionally.

I miss the hummingbirds and the other summer birds, but the blue jays are bright and beautiful as they scream across the pasture, alarming all who will listen. We do have a few killdeers and those absurdly frustrating fall warblers. I had a pair literally three feet from me the other day and STILL couldn't identify them! They were pretty though.

The guys got some feed put in yesterday and a lot of mowing and such done on Sunday. It is not usual to work Sundays here, except for milking, feeding and chores, but with this awful weather you take the weather when you can get it. They got it so they took it.

Now it is raining again, so they won't be able to do much today. Guess it is going to warm up a bit though, which would be good. This taste of cool fall weather we have been having is very invigorating and we get a lot of work done, but it is plumb uncomfortable around the house.

Oh, well, better days are coming, it says here in fine print. And we still have grass, greenery, cows, buildings, and each other, a lot better than a lot of folks are dealing with. Take care out there.

6 comments:

Dani said...

I saw my first ever tanager in the yard over the weekend! Sure sign that migration is under way.

Cathy said...

How I love to transport myself with through your words into the Sudex, into the basil, smelling the mowing . . . sharing the little shoulder-drop of disappointment about the no-shows at the feeders . . .

Beautiful.

Autumn in your heart.

NumberWise said...

Cathy, thanks! You said that so well!

I, too, find myself smelling, hearing, waiting, caring, hearing... Threecollie's posts encourage me to observe and appreciate the world around me day to day.

My hummingbirds left, too. I miss them!

threecollie said...

Dani, oh, wow, oh, wow! I have only ever seen three of them! They are here, but they hide in the upper tree branches. I should learn their call. I only saw a few indigo buntings before I learned the call. Now I see dozens. lol

Cathy, thank you so much! You are so sweet to me and believe me, I appreciate it.

NW, ditto, what I said to Cathy. Your words mean a lot to me, more than you could know. You take care and call when you can, if you can. Know that I think of you daily....

Terry and Linda said...

The hummers have left...they are the last to leave here and always I feel sad.

I loved your farm harvest photos...really nice and clear from the cell phone.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/

threecollie said...

Linda, thanks! The kids take really good pics with their phones. I am kinda new to using one, but am beginning to get the hang of it I guess