(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: There's a Full Moon Over Tulsa

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

There's a Full Moon Over Tulsa

I hope that it's shining on you....."

Well, actually it's a waxing gibbous and it's raining and it's NY, but I still love the song. Sold a couple of cows yesterday, very painfully, as one was Alan's old show cow, Bayberry, who has been a fixture here since he was thirteen. We let him choose when or if. She was nearly two years in milk and we just could not get her bred no matter what we tried. She was getting mean and beating up on the other cows.....

It was hard, but so is the economy. The cows that stay behind have to eat and be cared for and every input has tripled in price over the past few years We used to use $200 a ton as the top price we would pay for premium grain. Hah! Them days are gone.

Would be nice to just have kept her forever, but we couldn't. At least beef prices are indeed as crazy-high as word on the street has been saying. A lot of farmers were selling as the line of trucks stretched all around the auction barn and down the road. Reminds me of the stories I was hearing of sale barns down in the drought area a couple of months ago.

Thanks to drought in Texas, and Oklahoma a severe shortage of feed, problems in several South American countries etc. beef may turn out to be in short supply in a bit.

Any road, we are keeping our bull calves and steering them. We are going to be real short of feed ourselves, but for dairy farmers we raise pretty good beef. We are thinking we will sell a bit, retail, USDA inspected, cryovacced, real good stuff. We have in the past and folks have liked it real well.

Got a steer ready to go right now. Anybody interested?

11 comments:

Ruth said...

I might actually, money's a bit short right now, donno how much we could do, but the freezer's got space.....and I love good beef!

joated said...

I recently ordered a 1/4 steer from a fella up near you (got some of his beef last year). Thought I'd fill the rest of the freezer with venison but that's not working out. I could go for a 1/4 from you if you're willing.
email me:
joated at AOL dot com

threecollie said...

Ruth, we are still planning when to send the next steer, but I will keep you posted if you would like.

Joated, will do

Terry and Linda said...

OH! YES! That is the best beef. The ecomony is horrible here there and everywhere. But I think people will pay for good beef!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

lisa said...

Nothing like your own beef that is for sure! I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Ruth said...

Please!

Actually, the dog's on a raw diet too, I don't know what you do with the heart/liver/tripe/etc, but if you don't have plans for them maybe we could work out something for that too?

threecollie said...

Linda, we are hoping. We have sold some before. And cryovacced keeps fresh, no freezer burn for months and months so you don't have to use it up quickly

LIsa, you betcha! And you guys grow wonderful beef

Ruth, I am sure we can work out something there. We don't usually take the organ meats but we certainly can.

Iron Rye said...

The future of the cattle is in grass, not grain. Way too many mouths want it now.

threecollie said...

Iron, we graze in summer, but feed grain too.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

I'm interested! Very interested. Venison, too, if ya got any. I only live about 1 1/2 hours from your neck of the woods, so I'd be happy to come get it unless you ship?? I'm a rookie, buying *real* beef from a farm. :) Let me know.

passion flower said...

I wonder if hay is a good or better replacement for grain during the winter time?