(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Today

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Today

 


Would have been Dad's 90th birthday. I wish he had made it. I miss him and Mom so much.... 

I keep a word processing document called Letterstomymother, in which I record all the things I need to talk to her about. We used to chat every evening for years and years and years, sometimes for five minutes, "Hi, how are ya? We're doing fine." Sometimes for two hours, clearing up all of our problems by airing them out good

Sometimes sharing stories.

Sometimes bragging. There was a lot of bragging. Mom cared if I found a good bird. She wanted to know about that big buck the boy got, or a promotion at work for one of the girls. She would have loved to hear about Bailey hitting five months old and being so darned cute and snuggleable. "How's that baby doing?" she would have asked.

Last night Peggy brought home a stellar report card. She is reading at nearly twice her project goal level. I really, really wanted to call Mom and tell  her, but that couldn't happen.

So I dropped her a note instead. It isn't the real deal but it's better than nothing.

Anyhow, Letterstomymother covers Dad as well. His profound deafness made it really hard to talk to him on the phone, but she always conveyed everything that was said in our little chats, and he always wanted to know. So I am sure if she somehow reads what I am writing to her, she is telling him what's going on, as soon as we get off the air.

Love you Dad. Love you Mom. Hope Heaven is all that is promised.



4 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

This is heartfelt beautifully lovely!

Hugs to you, Dear Friend

Shirley said...

November 12 was the 12th anniversary of the death of my mother. She would have been 90 on September the 13th.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Of course you write to your mom! Those we loved are never truly gone from us. I am usually resistant to stories about the "afterlife", but having worked with Hospice for many years and been present at the bedside many times as people died, I personally experienced patients conversing with dead loved ones in the hours before they themselves died. And these patients were otherwise clear-headed and rational and often told me things like "I know you can't see my mom, but she's here with me now and we can talk together." Or, "No, don't wash my hair today. I don't have time. My husband's here and I want to go with him." And so she did! And one fellow (who was a mean SOB and an actual criminal and probably worried about Judgment Day) was terrified when his brother (who had died on D-Day during WWII)showed up in his room. My patient started throwing things at him! So I do believe that you will meet your mom and dad again, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mom is enjoying every word you write to her now. The fact that there is anything at all is such an incredible mystery, why shouldn't there be other mysterious things we can't understand?

threecollie said...

Linda, thank you for your kind words.

Shirley, sorry for your loss, which I am sure still impacts your life and always will

Jacqueline, you can't imagine how much these words mean to me. Thank you! And bless you for sharing your hospice experiences. They are very comforting.