(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Fuzzy Green Pants

Thursday, January 06, 2022

The Fuzzy Green Pants

 


Been working off and on at the daunting task of cleaning out the folks' house. You can only do it just so long at any given time because of the myriad decisions needed. Toss, sell, or distribute among family? For every single thing we come across, and there are many things.

One day a couple of months ago we were going through clothes. I came upon a gigantic largish pair of fuzzy green polar fleece pants. My first inclination was to toss them in the bag for the clothing drop off. They are a Godawful color and kinda shapeless.

However, polar fleece is fine stuff. I looked at them and thought about days when we are lucky to get the temperature inside the house to fifty and shiver all day. Maybe I could shove them on over all my other stuff and enjoy life a little more..

So I brought them home, washed them, and tossed them in the office. The other day it was nasty cold in the house. East wind sucks the warmth right out of this place....brrrr. So I dug out those crazy pants and put them on to walk the dog. My torso froze out there in the shrieking wind.

My legs were utterly impervious to it.

So I used them as long johns under my sweats. It was a bit crowded as they are made of the heaviest of old fashioned polar fleece and it is thick.

However, I was warm all day even out in the weather.

Much to my amazement I love them and wish it was hygienic to wear them every day. Alas, cleanliness being adjacent to Godliness, they just came out of the washer....

Mom was always a talented seamstress. She made square dance outfits, authentic Scottish kilts and skirts, dress shirts for Dad, wonderful quilts, blankets, and anything that took her fancy.

It appears that she also made ugly green pants and I will be thanking her for them for a long time to come.



5 comments:

Linda said...

They’d be great as underwear…..I have a warm fuzzy vests but everything sticks to it so I only ever wear it underneath a coat🙁

Terry and Linda said...

YAY! Your mom was a gifted person. Just like you!

Shirley said...

Ummm the color of those fuzzy pants is about the same as the green on your blog sidebar.... just sayin'....
The older polar fleece seems to be much better quality than what they are producing these days.
I wonder how many "modern" women of the younger generation (not us old fogeys!) know how to sew a fine seam or even value it.

Ruth said...

I'm just going to note that a pair of fleece pants is basically a set of straight seams and the ability to fold over hte top hem for elastic and thats it and its very simple to make if you sew at all (which doesn't mean your mom's set isn't very well done, jsut that making more isn't hard). I've been known to wear fleece pants as long johns under my other clothes in the winter!.

threecollie said...

Linda, I have them on right now! lol And I have the same problem with a lot of Ralph's clothes. Everything sticks to the warm and fuzzies, especially when he cuts wood.

Linda, thanks, they are really warm!

Shirley, lol, pretty close I guess....Mom was really talented. Myself, I have sewed a bit, but Home Economics class and 4-H made me pretty much hate it. I've made a few quilts, the lazy free form sort, and some Christmas ornaments, but not much else. I don't know how many people sew these days..

Ruth, I am so intimidated by sewing clothing. As I said above, home ec and 4-H had me in way over my head as a kid and I never progressed from the easiest things. Mom on the other hand was an artist...and I love these pants, especially today when it is so nasty cold. lol