(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Wonders of Home Weaving

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wonders of Home Weaving

My talented sister-in-law hand wove this wonderful blanket for my especially special younger brother. It is patterned on an antique blanket my parents have had since I was a kid. The original came into the antique shop where we all grew up some long, long time ago. (Growing up in an antique and book store was an experience that had to be lived to be imagined. It was cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and dusty all year round. We read the merchandise and took for granted being able to play in three seat cutters with tiger and horse head lap robes to keep us warm. Thus I have read all of the original Tarzans, Roy Chapman Andrews, Osa Johnson and a vast array of other books that not too many people have had the opportunity to peruse. I didn't appreciate the history surrounding us then but these many years later I surely do.)


(That is a tall brother there, so you can tell it is a BIG blanket)

Matt and Lisa were kind enough to take this photo for me and allow me to post it for you. It looks wonderful to me.
It looks warm too....(which also looks wonderful to me). She made me a blanket a couple of years ago and that puppy doesn't want to wander far from my Sunday chair, else heads will roll. Even in the summer I keep it handy....just in case!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mumsy.
Loves uncle matt and aunt lisa. also wouldn't it be so cool to know how to do that?
Am sellin alan to highest bidder.
loves
Voice in Daughter's Head

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Simply beautiful! The best part is how useful it is.

Anonymous said...

Very talented sis-n-law! Great blanket!

Rebz said...

Weaving is so cool. Whenever I encounter people who spin and weave, I want to do it too. But, I have too many other hobbies. Gotta stay focused or I end up with
100's of UFO's (Un-Finished Objects) lying around my house.
XOXO
Joce

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

Love the blanket! Makes me want to curl up on the couch and read...

Linda said...

It goes good with your last post of winter arriving! NICE!

DayPhoto said...

I LOVE IT! How wonderful! It is just beautiful!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

fred thanks. sure love the blanket.
Matt

Deb said...

Absolutely beautiful. Your s-i-l is very talented.
I have an old blanket loom that I love to make wool rugs on. It in pieces since we moved into the new house. I hope to use it again someday soon :)

Unknown said...

Not only is that "talent" ... that's a lot of "work" ... the two go hand in hand.

Jan said...

Living in an antiques and book store is certainly an adult fantasy of mine.

R.Powers said...

Very nice!
I suppose you will really need it soon.

Ericka said...

hi. wandered over from floridacracker and rurality. it's a very cool blanket, and your pictures are wonderful.

threecollie said...

Becky....sometimes you worry me, you really do

Nita, it is wonderful isn't it?

Tipper, she is...and she corrected me. They are making another blanket based my parents' one. This one she designed entirely herself!

Joce, it amazes me too. To see someone take fiber and make it into something beautiful and functional...simply awesome!

Aussie O, yeah, same here. It sure is blanket season!

Linda, I hadn't thought of that, but you are right. It is fitting

Linda, it is amazing work. I was really tickled they let me post a photo of it

Matt, it is a beauty. thanks for letting me use the pic. Love you'


Deb, I am in awe of weavers and you spin too! Can't wait to see what you make when you do get it going

Robert, the amount of patience involved amazes me...I am in too much of a hurry all the time

Jan, I didn't appreciate it when I was a kid but I learned so much....

FC, my brother works out of state and he is kicking himself that he forgot to take it with him this week

erika, Thanks for visiting! Hope you stop by again.